Spicy Hummus with Roasted Peppers
This creamy hummus gets its deep, rich flavor from roasted peppers and garlic, and we added just enough cayenne pepper to give it a little kick of heat. Not only is it delicious, but it’s a powerhouse of healthy ingredients.
Try serving this with fresh vegetables and our flatbread turned into chips.
Lay the flatbreads on a cutting board and lightly brush with olive oil. Cut into wedges and place on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired. Bake in a 400-degree oven for 7 to 10 minutes, or until toasted and crisp.
Roasting Peppers and Garlic
To roast the peppers and the garlic, place them on a rimmed baking sheet under the broiler.
The garlic will brown faster than the peppers. Take them out when the paper husks are slightly charred.
Turn the peppers often until they’re blackened and blistering on all sides, about 8 to 14 minutes.
When the peppers come out of the oven, place them in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap so they can steam. The charred skins will come off easier this way.
Roughly chop the peppers and the garlic.
MORE FROM Taste of Lime
- A Valentine’s Day to Remember
- The Ultimate Resource Guide for the Tabletop and Entertaining
- The Search for the Perfect Cup of Tea
Spicy Hummus with Roasted Peppers
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 large jalapeño pepper
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic, skins left on
- One 15.5-ounce can chickpeas (garbanzos), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sesame tahini (stir well before using)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin – Explore The Spice House | Shop Now
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- Olive oil for drizzling (optional)
- Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
- A sprinkling of ground chile powder for garnish (optional)
DirectionsPut the whole peppers and unpeeled garlic cloves on a baking sheet and place it 6 inches under a preheated broiler. Roast until charred on all sides, turning as necessary. Long-handled tongs work well here. It takes about 8 to 14 minutes for the peppers, but the garlic will cook faster. Take the garlic out when slightly charred, but not black. The peppers should be blackened and blistering. This is something that you need to watch, so stay close to the oven. The times may vary, but basically, you’re just going by the color. When the peppers are done, place them in a heat-resistant bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a kitchen towel. After they’re cool enough to handle, remove the blackened skin and cut down one side of each pepper. Take out the stem, seeds, and veins. Remove the charred husks from the garlic. Roughly chop the peppers and garlic and set aside.
In a large food processor, add the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, cumin, and cayenne pepper. Puree until it forms a thick paste. Add 2 tablespoons of ice water at first and blend until smooth. Add more ice water a tablespoon at a time until you reach the consistency you like for dipping. Add the roasted peppers and garlic and pulse until coarsely blended.
Transfer the hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Serve with vegetables and flatbread chips.
To make chips out of our flatbread recipe, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lay the flatbreads on a cutting board and lightly brush with olive oil. Cut them into wedges and place on a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with coarse sea salt, if desired. Bake 7 to 10 minutes, or until toasted and crisp.
you might also like
- Stuffed Dates Wrapped in Prosciutto
- Fig Spread and Mascarpone Crostini
- Kalamata Olive Spread and Parmesan Crostini
- Creamy Raspberry Fruit Dip
- Roasted Vegetable Dip
- Save 10% sitewide at Art of Tea, coupon code: AOTAFFILIATE10 (Excluding gift cards and subscriptions)
- Shop Sustainable Gifts for Him Exclusively at MadeTrade.com
- Harney & Sons: Get 15% off your first order with code FIRST15
- NOVICA: $7 Off for new users
- Andalou Naturals: 20% off your first purchase!
- Macy’s: Up to 50% Off Valentine’s Gifts + Extra 15% off with code VDAY